Tuesday, January 29, 2013

2013 FCA College Advance

On January 25-27, over 400 college athletes from 29 different represented universities across the state of Texas attended the FCA College Advance at Riverbend Retreat Center in Glen Rose, Texas. College Advance is an annual weekend retreat for every division of NCAA, NAIA, and Junior College athletes in Texas. It is a time that is designed to allow student-athletes to get away from their busy schedules and encounter God. 50 of these students were saved and publicly received Christ for the first time this year. Another 86 students either re-committed their life to Christ or made some other spiritual decision. In over 18 years of hosting this camp, 2013 was the largest College Advance yet. It was also the greatest turnout of Howard Payne athletes to ever go as well. We had 9 HPU athletes attend this year. Josh Kennedy, a junior football player said, “College Advance was one of the greatest experiences of my life. Everyone was so genuine. I was amazed by the worship.” Hannah Hartshorn, a freshman volleyball player said, “This weekend helped me forgive my father and mend our broken relationship.” Kevin Domingue, a sophomore football player said, “This was my second time to go to College Advance, and it was even better than the first time. I was encouraged by the guys’ testimonies in my huddle and how they had gone through more difficult times than me, but were still able to see God’s plan in it all. It challenged me to be more grateful. I can’t wait to go next year and bring some of my friends and teammates.” Xavier McFalls, a freshman football player said, “This weekend taught me how to do sports God’s way. Being a Christian athlete doesn’t mean I have to be soft or less intense when I play. Since I’m competing for Christ, I need to go even harder and make sure my motivation is always to be Christ-like and give the glory to God.” Each of these 9 students were able to attend on scholarships and wanted to thank those of you who have donated to Brownwood Area FCA and made this possible.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment